It’s been a long time since the Arizona Coyotes have had a legitimate and consistent goal scorer. The last was arguably Radim Vrbata, who while skilled and a fan favorite never got too much attention outside of the Valley
But things have changed since the Coyotes acquired Phil Kessel for Alex Galchenyuk and P. O. Joseph. Earlier this week, Kessel was named to the NHL Network’s countdown of Top 20 Wings Right Now.
- Nikita Kucherov, Tampa Bay Lightning
- Patrick Kane, Chicago Blackhawks
- Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals
- Brad Marchand, Boston Bruins
- Mitch Marner, Toronto Maple Leafs
- Leon Draisaitl, Edmonton Oilers
- Johnny Gaudreau, Calgary Flames
- Artemi Panarin, New York Rangers
- Mikko Rantanen, Colorado Avalanche
- David Pastrnak, Boston Bruins
- Blake Wheeler, Winnipeg Jets
- Claude Giroux, Philadelphia Flyers
- Mark Stone, Vegas Golden Knights
- Vladimir Tarasenko, St. Louis Blues
- Taylor Hall, New Jersey Devils
- Jonathan Huberdeau, Florida Panthers
- Matthew Tkachuk, Calgary Flames
- Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado Avalanche
- Patrik Laine, Winnipeg Jets
- Phil Kessel, Arizona Coyotes
Kessel has finished with at least 20 goals in every season since his 2008-09 season with the Boston Bruins. During that time he finished at least 80 points four times. He has won two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2016 and 2017, was a representative at the All-Star Game in 2011, 2012, and 2015, and won the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy in 2007.
While the Coyotes’ offensive woes aren’t completely solved by the acquisition of Kessel, he will definitely help. Last season the Coyotes didn’t have a single player score more than 20 goals, and Clayton Keller lead the team with just 47 points.
Kessel not only adds offense for the Coyotes, he brings star power and name recognition. Media attention from places like the NHL Network benefits greatly in helping grow the Coyotes’ fanbase and get Arizona fans excited about the season to come. Last month it was announced that the Coyotes’ season-tickets sales have gone up 600% and all ticket sales have increased 550% since the acquisition of Phil The Thrill.
What do you think of Kessel being named one of the best wingers in the NHL? Do you you think he should have been ranked higher? Feel free to share you comments below.