Usually on a back to back situation, the Coyotes couldn’t have been going into a more dangerous building, but they were able to walk into Carolina and leave with two points.
1-0 Arizona - Christian Dvorak continues to whip it good as he scored his 11th of the season by sneaking in behind Joakim Nordstrom and potting the easy goal on Cam Ward courtesy of a nice feed by Shane Doan. Assist to Doan on the goal at 11:34.
2-0 Arizona - Alex Goligoski has been on a tear recently. The defenseman scored his second goal in as many nights off of a play that looked remarkably similar to the first goal, with Goligoski finishing alone in front of Cam Ward. Assists to Radim Vrbata and Max Domi on the goal at 17:29.
2-1 Arizona - There’s another former Coyote scoring against his old team, as Lee Stempniak tipped a Jaccob Slavin point shot in the high slot past Louis Domingue to give the Hurricanes a boost heading into the first intermission. Assists to Slavin and Jay McClement on the goal at 19:11.
2-2 Tie - The Hurricanes tied the game early in the second as Jordan Staal was left alone in front of Louis Domingue as multiple Coyotes defenders were drawn to Teuvo Teravainen in the far-side corner. Assists to Teravainen and Phillip Di Giuseppe on the goal at 1:30.
3-2 Coyotes- The Coyotes are deep in the zone and Shane Doan steals the puck from an unsuspecting Hurricane and passes it to Jordan Martinook, who rifles it past Cam Ward at 9:02.
4-2 Coyotes- Tobias Rieder picks off and bad pass and gets it to Shane Doan, who nets his 6th of the season with an empty netter at 19:01.
- Can the Coyotes exploit another favorable goaltending matchup? - They did indeed. Cam Ward let in 3 goals on 21 shots for a .857 sv%. That is... not ideal.
- Will Louis Domingue turn in another decent performance? - Louis only allowed two goals. The First goal was a deflection off of a face-off and the second goal was on a play where it looked like he tweaked his knee on the play. Thankfully he was fine.
- Can the Coyotes avoid the injury bug? - At the start of the Second we thought we had lost Domingue, but thankfully he was okay. No one else seemed to have disappeared during the game.
Players of the Game
Arizona - Shane Doan- Doan bounced back from a bad game in Buffalo with three points (1g,2A) tonight. The Captain needed a good one.
Carolina - Jordan Staal - Scored the second of the night for Carolina, which really put Arizona on their heels throughout the period.
- For more on the Carolina Hurricanes, check out Canes Country
- Anthony Duclair played his first NHL game since being demoted to the American Hockey League prior to the All-Star Break on January 18th.
- Neither Alexander Burmistrov or Kevin Connauton were available for tonight’s game after sustaining injuries in Boston and Buffalo, respectively
- Klas Dahlbeck played his first game against the Coyotes since he was claimed off of waivers at the beginning of the season. Dahlbeck was a part of the trade that sent Antoine Vermette to Chicago back in 2015.
- Urban Coyotes is coming back to TV and Radim Vrbata’s name when he goes to Starbucks is Jeff.
- This is the 23rd win of the season for the Coyotes.
- 17 games left in the season.
We might as well just copy/paste today’s preview for Arizona’s next game, as they take on Carolina again (this time at home) on Sunday evening. Puck drop is at 6:30 Arizona time.