The Arizona Coyotes continued their dominance of the Edmonton Oilers with a 2-1 victory in Edmonton on Sunday afternoon. With the win, the Coyotes have recorded at least a point in their last 25 games against Edmonton.
1-0 Arizona - Arizona opened the scoring on a fluky play by Radim Vrbata. As Oliver Ekman-Larsson pinched to get the puck to Vrbata, Vrbata took it to the far-side corner and threw it on net. The puck bounced off of Kris Russell and in past Cam Talbot. Assist to Ekman-Larsson on the goal at 16:10.
No scoring in the second period despite 23 combined shots as both the Oilers and Coyotes sought to open the game up a little bit.
1-1 Tie - Connor McDavid added yet another point to his impressive season, as his point shot was deflected in front of Mike Smith by Milan Lucic. Smith had no chance to stop Lucic’s seventh of the season. Assists to McDavid and Leon Draisaitl on the goal at 10:39.
2-1 Arizona - Some late deep forechecking pressure paid off for the Coyotes, as Anthony Duclair fought for the puck down low. He drew the attention of four Edmonton defenders, which set-up a gorgeous pass to Jamie McGinn all alone in the low slot for his fourth goal of the season. Assists to Duclair and Christian Dvorak on the goal at 16:16.
- Can the Coyotes be more good than lucky this time? - Luck was still on the Coyotes’ side for the first goal of the game, but McGinn’s third period winner was the result of nothing but hard work and solid fundamental offensive pressure.
- Will the Coyotes replicate their first period success? - Arizona took only six shots to Edmonton’s 13 in the first period, so the shoe was essentially on the other foot this time around.
- How conservative will the Coyotes be on defense? - Ekman-Larsson pinched on Vrbata’s goal, but this time around the Coyotes were more solid fundamentally.
Players of the Game
Arizona - Mike Smith - Smith had 41 saves on 42 shots, and was one deflection away from a shutout. He was excellent.
Edmonton - Milan Lucic - His deflection was Edmonton’s only goal of the day, but he took seven shots on net in 20:06 worth of ice time. He did everything he could to help his team win.
- For more on the Edmonton Oilers, check out The Copper & Blue.
- Tyler Gaudet was recalled to the Arizona Coyotes ahead of tonight’s game. He did not play.
- Jakob Chychrun was scratched again. He has not played since November 19th.
- Edmonton’s ice-time leader in tonight’s game was, surprise surprise, Connor McDavid.
- McGinn’s goal was his first since November 4th versus Anaheim.
- With a first period goal, Vrbata moves into a tie for the team scoring lead with 14 points alongside Max Domi. Vrbata leads the team in goals with seven.
Arizona stays on the road as they head to San Jose to take on the Sharks Tuesday night. Puck drop is at 8 PM Arizona time.