The Arizona Coyotes were close to opening their Canadian road trip with a win after regaining the lead in the third period, but the game went into the shootout where the Edmonton Oilers took the two points.
1-0 ARI goal @ 06:56: Steve Downie wrist shot, assisted by Jordan Martinook and Brad Richardson. The Coyotes strike first. Moments after the expiration of an Arizona power play, Martinook and Downie worked hard to keep possesion of the puck in the offensive zone and try to create a scoring chance. Then Martinook gets the puck from Richardson in the left corner and makes a great pass to Downie who easily scores.
1-1 EDM goal @ 07:55: Taylor Hall snapshot, assisted by Leon Draisaitl and Teddy Purcell. The Oilers answer in just under a minute. Draisaitl takes advantage of a slow line change from Arizona and easily drives into the offensive zone, serving the puck with a backwards pass to Hall who beats Louis Domingue.
2-1 EDM goal @ 11:39: Jordan Eberle wrist shot on the power play, assisted by Mark Letestu and Benoit Pouliot . As Arizona's defense is unable to clear the puck in front of the net, Eberle receives it from Letestu and bangs it into the net. Goals like this one are becoming really familiar for the PK lately. Fortunately that wasn't the case with the rest of the power plays.
2-2 ARI goal @ 14:30: Brad Richardson backhand shot, assisted by Jordan Martinook and Klas Dahlbeck. Richardson's hustle and effort ties it for the Desert Dogs. With Darnell Nurse defending, Richardson gets a lot of shots on him before he can finally beat Talbot with a backhand. Very important goal in a solid period for the Coyotes.
3-2 ARI goal @ 5:51: Anthony Duclair wrist shot, assisted by Max Domi and Klas Dahlbeck. The rookie combo that we all love watching offers us another great goal! Domi skates on the breakaway to create a 2-on-1 scoring opportunity, passes the puck to Duclair on the right and the Duke gives the lead back to Arizona.
3-3 EDM goal @ 14:08: Jordan Eberle backhand shot, assisted by Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Benoit Pouliot. Nugent-Hopkins controls the puck behind the net and finds an open Eberle for the tying goal. That would be the 300th career point for Eberle.
Despite a lot of back and forth between the two teams and plenty of scoring chances, the games goes into the shootout.
- 0-0: Jordan Eberle misses.
- 1-0 ARI goal: SO specialist Mikkel Boedker scores with a backhand shot.
- 1-1 EDM goal: Despite almost losing control of the puck, Matt Hendricks scores on the backhand.
- 1-1: Max Domi misses on his first shootout attempt in the NHL.
- 2-1 EDM goal: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scores with a snapshot.
- As Antoine Vermette misses the last attempt, the Edmonton Oilers win the game by a final score of 4-3.
|Arizona Coyotes||Edmonton Oilers|
|First Period Shots||12||10|
|Second Period Shots||10||12|
|Third Period Shots||9||16|
- For all things Oilers, visit Copper and Blue.
- Even though the Coyotes have gone into the overtime in eight occasions so far this season, this was the first time they played a shootout.
- Aizona has earned a point against the Edmonton Oilers in their last 20 meetings.
- The Coyotes have collected 14 of 18 possible points in games against Pacific Division rivals, winning 6 out of 9. In fact, they failed to earn a point in only one divisional matchup, against the Vancouver Canucks on October 30th.
- Earlier today, it was announced by the NHL that John Scott was voted to be the Pacific Division's captain for the 2016 All-Star Game.
The Coyotes continue their road trip in Western Canada as they face the Vancouver Canucks on Monday, 8:00 PM Arizona time. This is a great chance to increase the lead for the 2nd place in the Pacific Division.