1-0 Arizona: The Coyotes were all over the Blues early, with two early power plays and eight shots in the first 12 minutes of play. Steve Downie took advantage of relentless down-low pressure after the second penalty expired, as he knocked home the rebound on a point shot to give the Coyotes the lead. Assists to Jordan Martinook and Brad Richardson on the goal at 12:12.
1-1 Tie: There are quite a few talented offensive players on the Blues' roster. Vladimir Tarasenko is probably the best of them all. So it's probably a bad idea to leave him wide open streaking down the far side. Assists to Magnus Paajarvi and Jay Bouwmeester on the goal at 5:08.
2-1 St. Louis - Arizona might want to strongly consider declining future power plays. Oliver Ekman-Larsson's point shot was blocked, and Alexander Steen scored on the ensuing two on one rush. Assist to Kevin Shattenkirk on the shorthanded goal at 19:51.
3-1 St. Louis - A beautiful backhand pass through the middle of the Coyotes' defensive zone ended up on Kevin Shattenkirk. His wrister went past a sprawling Mike Smith to give the Blues some breathing room. Assists to Jori Lehtera and Robby Fabbri on the goal at 6:53.
4-1 St. Louis - David Backes capped off a thoroughly embarrassing road trip for the Coyotes with an empty net goal. He somehow managed to work his way through six Coyotes at center ice to find twine. Assists to Colton Parayko and Alex Steen on the empty-net goal at 18:58.
|Arizona Coyotes||St. Louis Blues|
|First Period Shots||9||3|
|Second Period Shots||7||9|
|Third Period Shots||7||10|
|Power Plays||0 for 4||0 for 3|
- For the St. Louis reaction, check out St. Louis Game Time.
- Martin Hanzal joined Shane Doan in the press box with a lower body injury.
- Arizona had every shot on goal in the game up until 13:36 of the first period (8-1).
- After the shorthanded goal, the Coyotes appeared to have scored when Anthony Duclair put home a slow moving puck in the crease. But the officials determined that the play was blown dead before Duclair's shot when Tobias Rieder crashed into Jake Allen, and the goal was disallowed.
- Viktor Tikhonov played 11:10 in his first game in a Coyotes sweater since 2009.
- Anthony Duclair was demoted to the 4th line during the game. He logged only 10:21 despite playing 3:05 on the power play.
Arizona is off until Friday, when they play the Minnesota Wild at Gila River Arena. Puck drop is at 7 PM Arizona time.