In desperate search of a win, the Arizona Coyotes turned to rookie Max Domi to carry them to victory. Alas, it was not enough, as the Coyotes fell 5-2 to the Buffalo Sabres Friday night at First Niagara Center in Buffalo.
1-0 Arizona: Let's just let Max Domi do the talking here:
Domi goal, 1-0 Coyotes pic.twitter.com/42uWVSPk3V— Stephanie (@myregularface) December 5, 2015
Assists to Martin Hanzal and Stefan Elliott on the goal at 14:28.
1-1 Tie: Sam Reinhart called bank from behind the net, using Mike Smith's pads to deflect the puck in to tie the score. Assists to Rasmus Ristolainen and Josh Gorges on the goal at 7:17.
2-1 Buffalo: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Jamie McGinn solves Mike Smith with a one-timer from the slot that goes five-hole. Assists to Jack Eichel and Carlo Colaiacovo on the goal at 13:33.
3-1 Buffalo: The Coyotes' power play continues to be more of a liability than an asset. Evander Kane picked off a bobbling puck at center ice and skated in all alone on Smith. He made no mistake to give the Sabres a two goal lead. Assist to Zemgus Girgensens on the shorthanded goal at 2:40.
3-2 Buffalo: Max Domi just would not be denied in this one. He collected the puck out of a scramble in the faceoff circle and fired a laser high glove side on Chad Johnson. No assists on the goal at 6:42.
4-2 Buffalo: Another defensive breakdown turns into a goal against. Marcus Foligno was not picked up by anybody as he skated into the zone and hung around the near side of Mike Smith. The puck made its way to him, and Smith couldn't get over to stop the shot. Assists to Nicolas Deslauriers and David Legwand on the goal at 11:44.
5-2 Buffalo: Evander Kane gets the empty-netter to ice the game, as the Coyotes never really settled the puck down with the net empty. Assists to Cody Franson and Ryan O'Reilly on the empty-net goal at 19:08.
|Arizona Coyotes||Buffalo Sabres|
|First Period Shots||7||7|
|Second Period Shots||7||10|
|Third Period Shots||6||11|
|Power Plays||0 for 3||0 for 2|
- For the Buffalo perspective, check out Die By The Blade.
- Shane Doan did not dress again tonight for the Coyotes.
- Connor Murphy was a healthy scratch for Arizona, as his spot was taken by Stefan Elliott.
- The Coyotes appeared to have a third goal shortly after Foligno's goal in the third period, but the officials ruled after a coach's challenge that Martin Hanzal interfered with Chad Johnson on the play. It's the second time in as many games that the Coyotes have had a goal overturned via coach's challenged.
- With two goals on the night, Max Domi is the first Coyote this season to record double-digit goals.
- In addition to leading the scoring, Domi led all Coyotes forwards in ice-time, with
- Sabres rookies Jack Eichel and Sam Reinhart both recorded a point tonight.
- For the third consecutive game, the Coyotes give up five goals.
The road trip continues on to Raleigh, as the Coyotes head to Carolina to play the Hurricanes. That game is scheduled to begin at 3 PM Arizona time.