So much for consistency.
1-0 New York - Dan Girardi's point shop was tipped past Mike Smith by Jesper Fast for his second goal of the season roughly 30 seconds after the Coyotes killed off a Michael Stone penalty. Lone assist to Girardi on the goal at 8:00.
2-0 New York - A brutal turnover by Shane Doan turned into a bad goal by Mike Smith. J.T. Miller gave New York a two goal lead by bouncing the puck in off his skate (unintentionally, of course). Assists to Chris Kreider and Dan Boyle on the goal at 2:07.
3-0 New York - For the second time in three games, Mike Smith's night ended early. Chris Kreider skated in on Michael Stone, and took a shot that Smith simply should have had but didn't. The lone assist went to Derek Stepan as Anders Lindback stepped in at 5:36.
4-0 New York - The Rangers poured it on in the second period. Kevin Hayes tagged Anders Lindback for a power play goal thanks to a Brad Richardson high-stick double minor. Assists to former Coyotes Keith Yandle and Oscar Lindberg on the goal at 13:26.
4-1 New York - Shane Doan and the Arizona Coyotes spoiled the shut-out for Antti Raanta while simultaneously getting a much needed power play goal. It came far too late in the third period to be anything but a moral victory for the Coyotes. Assists to Kyle Chipchura and Oliver Ekman-Larsson on the power play tally at 19:55.
|New York Rangers||Arizona Coyotes|
|First Period Shots||14||13|
|Second Period Shots||10||9|
|Third Period Shots||6||18|
|Power Plays||1 for 4||1 for 4|
- For the New York perspective, check out Blueshirt Banter.
- Antoine Vermette was ruled out of this game early yesterday. Stefan Elliott and John Scott were also scratched. Rick Nash did not play for New York.
- Tonight marked the second time in the past three games that Mike Smith was pulled midway through the game.
- Nicklas Grossmann left during the second period with an injury, and did not return during the game.
- Martin Hanzal appeared to have scored his first goal of the season, but the goal was waved off for being played with a high stick.
- With a very late assist, OEL now has five helpers in his past six games.
- Attendance: 13,029
The Coyotes begin a two game road back-to-back in Anaheim on Monday night. Game time is at 8 PM Arizona time.