The Arizona Coyotes managed to defy fatigue in their second game of a back-to-back and sweep the Ottawa Senators, behind Boedker's stellar play. It wasn't easy, but there was nothing that could ruin Arizona's night.
1-0 ARI goal @ 00:38: Mikkel Boedker wrist shot, assisted by Michael Stone. Stone makes a long shot that hits Erik Karlsson, but Boeds is at the right place to pick the loose puck and shoot it over Anderson's shoulder.
1-1 OTT goal @ 07:28: Mike Hoffman wrist shot, assisted by Bobby Ryan and Kyle Turris. Following some battles in the boards, Hoffman gets a beautiful pass from Ryan to easily score on Lindback.
2-1 ARI goal @ 00:41: Mikkel Boedker wrist shot, assisted by Antoine Vermette and Michael Stone. Boedker does it again! After some great puck movement, Stone finds Vermette in the right corner, who in turn passes it to Boeds in front of the net. The Danish winger pushes the puck to give back the lead to Arizona.
3-1 ARI goal @ 04:00: Dustin Jeffrey wrist shot, assisted by Tobias Rieder. Just after a penalty inflicted by Jeffrey ends, he exits the penalty box to receive a great pass from Rieder (after a Karlsson turnover) and go five-hole on Anderson for his first goal as a Coyote!
3-2 OTT goal @ 17:57: Mike Hoffman slapshot on the power play, assisted by Erik Karlsson and Mark Stone. Now this one was really baffling. Hoffman scores on a rocket on the power play, but Anders Lindback was clearly hit in the head by Alex Chiasson's elbow, with his body being inside the crease. Dave Tippett saw that, and rightfully decided to challenge the call. The refs though decided that the call on the field should stand, making Tippett furious.
4-2 ARI goal @ 13:29: Mikkel Boedker wrist shot, assisted by Max Domi. Throw your hats! Boedker gets the rebound from a Domi shot to get a second hat-trick against the Senators this season.
4-3 OTT goal @ 14:44: Mark Stone slapshot, assisted by Erik Karlsson and Marc Methot. Lindback initially saves Stone's shot, but the puck makes a crazy bounce behind the goalie's back and finds itself into the net. The Senators manage to keep it close, but fail to tie the game. Coyotes win!
|First Period Shots||18||4|
|Second Period Shots||8||10|
|Third Period Shots||12||5|
- For Ottawa's take on the game, visit Silver Seven.
- Mikkel Boedker scored his second hat-trick against the Senators in 2 games this season. This has never been done before by someone in the same season, as Ian Mendes points out. That was also the third hat-trick of Boedker's career.
- The Coyotes sweeped their three-game homestand, earning the six points against the Ducks, Flames and Senators. They've also won 4 of last 5 games.
- When Jeffrey scored Arizona's 3rd goal, the Coyotes had only made 7 shots on goal.
- Zbynek Michalek didn't reunite with his brother Milan tonight, as he had to fight an illness and missed the game.
- Dustin Jeffrey took a puck to the face before the end of the 1st period and left the rink. He would return in the second period to score his first goal as a Coyote, immediately after his own penalty ended.
- Attendance: 12,727
The Coyotes begin a five-game road trip next. The first game is on Tuesday, against the Nashville Predators. Puck drops at 6:00 PM Arizona time.