It wasn't just that the Arizona Coyotes lost. It was how they lost.
Shane Doan received a game misconduct late in the second period as the Coyotes gave up five in a 5-2 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday night.
1-0 Columbus - William Karlsson got the Jackets on the board early in the first period thanks to a cross-ice pass from Scott Hartnell. Mike Smith was unable to get over in time, and the Jackets took the lead. Assists from Hartnell and David Savard on the goal at 1:39.
2-0 Columbus - Ryan Johansen scored only his second goal of the season on a rebound. It was the first of two power play goals for Columbus. Assists to Boone Jenner and Jack Johnson on the power play goal at 5:13.
2-1 Columbus - The Coyotes finally answered back thanks to sloppy neutral zone play by Columbus. Anthony Duclair and Tobias Rieder broke in on a two-on-one, and Duclair made no mistake with Rieder's cross-ice pass. Assists to Rieder and Martin Hanzal on the goal at 12:09.
2-2 Tie - Arizona tied the game as Oliver Ekman-Larsson's hot streak continued. OEL was in prime position to put home a rebound on Sergei Bobrovsky. Assists to Jordan Martinook and Anthony Duclair on the goal at 5:49.
3-2 Columbus - Boone Jenner scored his team leading ninth goal of the season and the second power play goal of the night. Jenner's shot from the top of the face-off circle snuck past short-side on Smith to give Columbus what proved to be the game winner. Assists to Ryan Johansen and Jack Johnson on the power play goal at 16:14.
4-2 Columbus - William Karlsson got his second of the night on a rebound that Mike Smith simply mishandled. That goal certainly seemed to be a backbreaker for the Coyotes. Assists to Cam Atkinson and Cody Goloubef on the goal at 10:42.
5-2 Columbus - Brandon Saad rounded out the scoring with a swift shot that rang off the back-iron and out again. It was quick, but it was a good goal. Assists to Boone Jenner and Sergei Bobrovsky on the goal at 15:18.
|Arizona Coyotes||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|First Period Shots||11||8|
|Second Period Shots||12||6|
|Third Period Shots||6||6|
|Power Plays||0 for 5||2 for 4|
- For the Columbus perspective, be sure to check out The Cannon.
- No Steve Downie again for the Coyotes, though they probably would have liked to have him for this one.
- In what will certainly be the talk of Coyotes nation for a while, Shane Doan received a game misconduct towards the end of the second period as part of a scrum where 36 penalty minutes were handed out. No explanation why as of this writing.
- The game was feisty from beginning to end, with a grand total of 68 PIMs between both teams.
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson's goal marks the 10th time in the last 13 games that he has recorded at least a point.
- The victory for Columbus is their fourth in their last six.
The Coyotes travel to the Barclay's Center for the first time when they play the New York Islanders Monday night. Radio only, so plan accordingly. Puck drop is at 5 PM Arizona time.