The Coyotes continue to struggle in the first period, but tonight that didn't matter as they came back from a 2-0 deficit to win the game in overtime.
1-0 Ducks - With Jakob Silfverberg engaged in a board battle with Zbynek Michalek, Mike Santorelli grabs the puck and passes to Ryan Kesler. Kesler sends the puck to Hampus Lindholm who shoots with Anders Lindback making the initial save only to have Chris Stewart hammer home the rebound.
2-0 Ducks - Deep in the Coyotes zone Ryan Kesler recovered the puck to send it to Silfverberg, who passed it to Clayton Stoner at the blue line. Stoner passed to Sami Vatanen who shot the puck, only to have Ryan Kesler deflect it on the way to the net for his first goal of the season
2-1 Ducks - On the power play Martin Hanzal has an excellent diving pass to Oliver Ekman-Larsson who quickly passes to Anthony Duclair. He shoots from above the faceoff circle to score, going five-hole on Frederick Anderson.
2-2 Tie - Mikkel Boedker recovers the puck along the boards behind the goal and passes the puck to Dustin Jeffrey. Jeffrey passes the puck to Max Domi who appears to partially fan on the puck and score. Having watched the play many times it still looks like it goes by luck more then anything else.
3-2 Coyotes - Duclair led the team on a 3-3 into the Ducks zone with a pass to Klas Dahlbeck who skated around then net and passed the puck back to Duclair in front of the net. Duclair sent the puck to Domi, who shot at a bad angle for a goal that was initially reviewed before deciding it was good (Note: in the official boxscore the goal is marked as unassisted).
3-3 Tie - Sami Vatanen recovered the puck from a Z turnover and exhibited an amazing single effort as he walked into the Coyotes zone. He passed to Andrew Cogliano to have Cogliano pass back to him for an excellent tip to score the tying goal.
|Arizona Coyotes||Anaheim Ducks|
|First Period Shots||6||6|
|Second Period Shots||12||11|
|Third Period Shots||9||18|
|Power Plays||1 for 5||1 for 4|
- For the Anaheim perspective, check out Anaheim Calling.
- Dustin Jeffrey played his first game with the Coyotes. He signed a two-way contract with the Coyotes this past offseason having previously played with the Pittsburgh Penguins and Dallas Stars.
- Jeffrey got 3:17 minutes of power play, 7th among forwards.
- Steve Downie was injured in the 2nd period and only was on the ice for 5:33 minutes
- Stick tap to Sarah McLellan on this, 6 of Duclair's goals have come against the Ducks. It's good that we are in the same conference as them.
- The Coyotes have yet to lose on the first night of a back to back this season.
The Coyotes are playing again tomorrow against the Los Angeles Kings at 8:30 pm Arizona time.