The Arizona Coyotes had a truly scary start to the game a day before Halloween, allowing 3 goals on 5 shots in just 11 minutes. Mike Smith was pulled for Anders Lindback after the second goal.
The Coyotes didn't give up though and had a very good 2nd period reaching within one goal, but they paid for the unecessary penalties allowing a fourth. Rieder's goal in the 3rd period wasn't enough to complete the comeback against the Vancouver Canucks.
1-0 VAN goal @ 01:56: Jared McCann wrist shot, assisted by Adam Cracknell and Luca Sbisa. Cracknell passes to McCann from behind the net, who patiently shots the puck to give the Canucks the early lead.
2-0 VAN goal @ 04:26: Alexandre Burrows wrist shot, assisted by Jake Virtanen and Luca Sbisa. Burrows beats Mike Smith with a wrist shot from the left side. Smith would want that one back, and is pulled for Lindback.
3-0 VAN goal @ 10:59: Brendan Gaunce deflection, assisted by Christopher Tanev and Alexander Edler. Tanev takes a long shot, the puck hits Lindback's right pad and is deflected into the net off Tanev's skate.
3-1 ARI goal @ 05:50: Max Domi backhand, assisted by Mikkel Boedker and Antoine Vermette. Domi gets the rebound after a Boedker shot to put the Coyotes on board.
3-2 ARI goal @ 17:04: Steve Downie wrist shot, assisted by Tyler Gaudet and Nicklas Grossmann. Downie scores his first goal as a Coyote on a nice wrist shot.
4-2 VAN goal @ 18:08: Daniel Sedin slapshot on the power play, assisted by Radim Vrbata and Henrik Sedin. Daniel Sedin punishes the Coyotes on the power play for their penalties with a powerful slapshot.
4-3 ARI goal @ 17:39: Tobias Rieder backhand shot, assisted by Antoine Vermette and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Rieder scores to pull the Coyotes within one after a deflected shot from Vermette.
|Vancouver Canucks||Arizona Coyotes|
|First Period Shots||10||10|
|Second Period Shots||6||13|
|Third Period Shots||6||8|
|Power Plays||1 for 4||0 for 2|
- Antoine Vermette returned tonight after missing the last two games with a lower-body injury. He had two assists.
- Martin Hanzal on the other hand is still sidelined, also with a lower-body injury. He is expected to be back soon.
- The Coyotes have now given up 10 goals in their last two games.
- Before Domi's goal in the 2nd period, the Coyotes hadn't scored for almost 100 minutes (98:50).
- Domi's goal put him into the team lead in points, and tied for the lead in goals with Anthony Duclair.
- Attendance: 12,166
- Visit Nucks Misconduct for the Vancouver perspective.
Arizona gets five days off before playing the Colorado Avalanche at home on Thursday night. Puck drop is at 7 PM Arizona time.