The Coyotes had a chance with this road trip to rebuild confidence in their hockey game and right the ship. After getting crushed in Tampa and playing well but losing in Miami, Arizona traveled to Raleigh to take on the Carolina Hurricanes. A team that hadn't won a game all season. In fact, the Canes last win was April 13. They were playing against Cam Ward, a goalie who hadn't recorded an NHL shutout since Mar. 27, 2012. With their world crashing down around them, the Coyotes should be able to stand up and pull out an impressive performance against a team ripe for the taking.
Shutout 3-0. Outshot 35-25. Outhustled, outskated and pretty much outclassed.
What else is there to say?
- For the Carolina point of view, head over to Canes Country.
- Elias Lindholm scored his first two goals of the season in the first period.
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson had five shots on goal to lead the team. It is the seventh time in ten games that OEL or Keith Yandle has led the teams in shots on goal. It's the eighth time any defenseman has led in shots. It's hard to generate consistent offense when all the shots are coming from blueliners.
- Every Arizona player played at least ten minutes. Throw everything at the wall until it sticks I guess.
- It's the second time the Coyotes have been shutout on the season. It is also the fifth time in seven games the Yotes have failed to score a goal at even strength.
Three Stars of the Night
- Cam Ward. It was a pretty easy shutout, but a shutout none the less.
- Elias Lindholm. Two goals. Would have beat the Coyotes twice.
- Justin Faulk. Two assists, five shots and over 22 minutes of ice time.
The Coyotes finish their road trip with a trip to the nation's capitol on Sunday to take on the Washington Capitals.