Unfortunately for the Coyotes, the Sharks managed one more goal with the extra attacker, downing Phoenix 3-2 in an extra frame.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson showed no signs of off-season rust in his first action of the preseason, opening the scoring with a wrister from the right point at 10:08 of the first period, with assists from Tim Kennedy and Chris Brown.
The lead would hold until the opening minute of the second period, when the Sharks would tie it up on a goal, off a face off, by Freddie Hamilton, coming on a holdover interference penalty on the Coyotes Brandon McMillan. Eleven minutes later, San Jose would take the 2-1 lead on yet another power play goal by Jason Demers following a Connor Murphy hooking penalty.
The Coyotes responded with under 30 seconds to go in the second, with Andy Miele putting one past Harri Sateri with help from Chris Brown and Lucas Lessio. The score would remain tied at two a piece through the end of regulation.
After taking a too many men on the ice penalty in the extra stanza, Logan Couture made Phoenix pay by slipping one past Mike Smith at 3:28, sealing the loss for the Coyotes.
- Chris Brown led the way with 2 assists and 5 shots on goal.
- Mike Smith stopped 23 of 26 shots in his first full action this preseason.
- After winning four out of his first five face offs, Mike Ribeiro would finish 6/11 in the circle.
- Defenseman Michael Stone led all Coyotes with 24:17 of ice time.
Our Three Stars of the Game
- Chris Brown: With an assist on both Phoenix goals and the leader in shots in the game, he makes a solid argument for making the big club this season.
- Oliver Ekman-Larsson: In his first real action this preseason, the young defenseman picks up right where he left off with a PP goal and over 23 minutes of ice time.
- Logan Couture: An assist and the clutch overtime winner for the Sharks center.
The Coyotes continue their preseason road trip Monday night against their new Pacific Division rivals, the Vancouver Canucks. Puck drops at 7PM.