Unfortunately, it seems they forgot to bring their game with them.
Eternally impressive Teemu Selanne scored for the Ducks just forty-eight seconds into the contest, and Anaheim never looked back. They would build up a 4-0 lead on the backs of Selanne, Sami Vatanen, and former Coyotes Nolan Yonkman and Daniel Winnik.
Phoenix would tally its first goal in the 2nd period, thanks to a wrist shot from Guillaume Latendresse, assisted by Chris Brown and Andy Miele. But the Coyotes couldn't stay out of the box, and on their sixth penalty of the night the Ducks scored a fifth thanks to Hampus Lindholm. Emerson Etem would add one more late in the 2nd to bring the score to 6-1.
In the 3rd, Mark Louis would continue his audition for face-puncher extraordinaire by dropping the mitts for the second time in two nights, this time against Brad Staubitz. Staubitz would get hit with an instigator minor and a 10 minute misconduct. Chris Brown scored the Desert Dogs' second goal late in garbage time to bring the score to 6-2, which would become the final.
- This is the second time in the preseason that the Coyotes have conceded a goal in the first minute of play; Tanner Pearson of the Kings scored at the :51 second mark in the first period of the game in Glendale.
- Perennial Coyote killer Andrew Cogliano had three assists in tonight's game.
- Mark Visentin would play the first two periods for Phoenix. He gave up six goals on twenty-four shots. Louis Domingue finished out the game with a clean sheet.
- Jonas Hiller played two periods and got the win. 2012 3rd Round draft pick Frederik Andersen played the final frame for Anaheim.
- Steve Kozari and Darcy Burchell, the two referees on the ice for the Jordan Nolan hit on Rostislav Klesla, were the referees for tonight's bout as well.
Our Three Stars of the Game
- Guillaume Latendresse: His second goal in two games means he's showing some offensive potential that the Coyotes would love to have in their bottom six.
- Andrew Cogliano: Three assists tonight. Seriously, the Coyotes cannot stop this guy.
- Teemu Selanne: #TeemuForever
A day off for the Desert Dogs before they host an intrasquad scrimmage Wednesday night at 7PM to benefit the families of the firefighters killed while fighting the Yarnell Hill Fire. Tickets are $5 and are available on the Coyotes website. Come out to Jobing.com Arena and support a very worthy cause.