The Sundogs met the Mallards on Friday and Arizona would score first with a goal by Captain and forward Jason Morgan, assisted by Alex Tuckerman and Paul McIlveen. Midway through the first period, with his team on the penalty kill, Jason Morgan would score Arizona’s first shorthanded goal of the year, assisted by Paul McIlveen. Quad City would tie the game with a goal in the second period and another in the third and send it to overtime. Neither team would score in the extra frame, sending it to a shootout. The Mallards would score once in the shootout. Jason Morgan and Johan Ryd would score for the Sundogs to get the 3-2 victory. Arizona had 31 shots on goal, and goalie Andrew Engelage turned away 24 of the 26 shots he faced.
On Saturday, the Mallards would get on the board first with a goal early in the opening period. Sundogs’ forward Johan Ryd would tie the game with an unassisted goal in the first. Neither team would score in the middle frame. Arizona forward Kevin Baker would give his team the lead early in the third, assisted by Michael Trebish and Paul McIlveen. Quad City would tie the game and send it to overtime, where for the second straight night neither team would score and they would go to a shootout. The Mallards would be unable to score in the shootout. Arizona would get a goal from Jason Morgan and the 3-2 victory. The Sundogs totaled 33 shots on goal and goalie Chris Rawlings made 25 saves on 27 shots.
Big Dog of the Week
This week’s Big Dog of the Week title goes to Captain and forward Jason Morgan. The St. Johns’ native has 10 points on the year (4-6-10), a +1 rating, 29 penalty minutes, and 30 shots on goal. During the two games against the Mallards, Morgan had both of his team’s goals and contributed in the shootout win on Friday night as well as having the winning shot in the shootout Saturday night.
- Fifteen games into the season, Arizona is 6-8-1 with 13 points. They are 7th out of 10 teams in the CHL, and 11 points out of first place.
- The Sundogs' special teams have a 13.16% power play percentage and an 83.75% penalty kill percentage, with one shorthanded goal scored and four allowed.
- On 11/16 forward Ian Schultz was placed on 7-day I.R.; On 11/22 defenseman Matt McCready was activated from I.R., goalie Chris Rawlings was assigned from the Phoenix Coyotes and signed a 5-game contract
- Forward Paul McIlveen leads the team with 14 points (5g/9a)
- Arizona remains at home for three games against the Allen Americans on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. The puck drops at 6:35 p.m. Wednesday and 7:05 p.m. Friday and Saturday.