The Phoenix Coyotes are in a bit of a funk and can't seem to buy a break, or a point. The rough patch continued in Los Angeles as Jonathan Bernier shut down the Coyotes and a single power play goal on a deflection was all the Kings would need for the victory.
Although the penalty kill once again burned the Coyotes, this wasn't quite like other recent games where it was a steady stream to the box. The Coyotes took only two penalties (an early holding call on Aucoin) and the later high stick on Klesla. However, a point shot from Jarret Stoll hit a Coyotes penalty killer (I didn't catch who) in the high slot and Ilya Bryzgalov had no chance once the puck changed direction and went just inside the post.
Offensively, the Coyotes again played stagnant for much of the night, picking up the pressure after surrendering the goal, but generally being passive. Defensively, and let's be honest, that is the system Coach Tippett is most comfortable playing, the Coyotes were solid for most of the game. The Kings managed only 18 shots on goal. Newcomer Rostislav Klesla (despite being called for the high stick that led to Stoll's goal) was once again solid and even had the best scoring opportunity driving to the net on a Taylor Pyatt pass.
That's really all there is to say. I'd love to see Kyle Turris and Mikkel Boedker getting more ice time as they are creating our best offensive opportunities. But then again, with the style Tippett wants to play, Vernon Fiddler and Taylor Pyatt are going to get lots of ice time to control the other teams' best offensive players. Not having Martin Hanzal to play last night also hurt the team in many ways. All the Coyotes can do is look ahead at Detroit on Saturday night and hope that they will find a better outcome.
Bullet Point Notes From The Game
- Adrian Aucoin took an early holding penalty to the frustration of all Coyotes fans who are sick of this pattern, but at least the Coyotes killed it off...
- The first Coyotes powerplay after a Matt Greene penalty was fairly pitiful.
- The first period was a snoozefest with the most interesting action happening in the game day thread.
- Anze Kopitar put a flutterer off the post late in the second period, still no score and still not a particularly interesting game.
- Coyotes had a decent opportunity as Bernier had trouble with a Shane Doan shot and Lauri Korpikoski and Andrew Ebbett both got whacks at it that stayed out of the goal.
- Coyotes had a good chance on a painful turnover but Doan couldn't put it past Bernier - but the Coyotes go back on the power play. Nothing much done on the power play except a decent shot from Turris as the penalty expired.
- Rostislav Klesla gets called for a high stick with a little over 8 minutes left in the game....clear as day call and the Coyotes have a HUGE kill ahead.
- Kings breakthrough on the powerplay as Jaret Stoll blasts one from the point that hit a Coyote out in the high slot and Bryz has no chance and it's 1-0 Kings.
- Great effort from Mikkel Boedker draws a penalty on the Kings and the Coyotes go back on the Oh Jeez Power Play....unlike the Kings, the Coyotes generate very little pressure on their power play.
- Eric Belanger and Adrian Aucoin get two shots on net from pretty far out, but they are at least forcing turnovers and getting the puck on net.
- Klesla has a great scoring opportunity on a pretty feed from Taylor Pyatt, but no dice as Bernier gets across to make the save.
OUR THREE STARS
1. Jonathan Bernier - the Coyotes didn't push him too much, but he made the saves when he needed to and a shutout is a shutout.
2. Jarret Stoll - our lone goal scorer also had a big day in the faceoff dot.
3. Mikkel Boedker - another good game for the kid, creating chances, drawing penalties...he's a keeper for sure.
3a. Everyone in the gameday thread. Seriously, for such a boring and crummy game, 710 comments later, it was a pretty fun night. Thanks everyone for coming by and keeping it fun. Our "leaderboard" for the night:
justin1985 - 128 comments
AlabamaJammer - 90
Me - 87
ChadinGlendale - 81
Sprankton - 69
Travis - 67
MyDearestObsession - 56
doanrocks - 48
KholdStare88 - 25
TimmyHate - 19
redheadzeb - 11
Capsfan07 - 10
Carl - 9
Rob1966 - 7
Alexander Michael - 3
COMMENT OF THE NIGHT
Depends. Are you talking about hockey?
-ChadinGlendale [referring to keeping hands on your stick or something like that]
Back at it Saturday night...as mentioned, I'll be in the press box and participating in the FSAZ Gameday lounge thing. Hopefully we'll get a solid (and winning) effort from the Coyotes then.