The Phoenix Coyotes beat the St. Louis Blues last night for the second time this season, shutting them out 2-0. Ilya Bryzgalov was absolutely on fire, saving anything that came close to the net and several times making saves in rapid succession on scoring chances. The Blues had a few quality tries where on most nights the puck would have been in, but Bryz was focused and a little lucky tonight. It was a strong effort from almost everyone on the ice as can be seen by who was getting the points on the offensive end. Daniel Winnik scored his first of the season on a wrister from the top of the circle that caught Conklin of guard. The Blues turned it over and the Coyotes streaked out of the zone and he just snapped it in. A very nice goal for his first of the year. Taylor Pyatt's goal though was a thing of beauty. Vernon Fiddler put a pass right on the tape for Pyatt and he just had to move it to the backhand and put it right in. The Pyatt-Fiddler-Winnik line was outstanding and they got both goals and it was kind of thrown together thanks to Upshall being out of the line up but it worked nicely.
Other notes from the game:
- Ilya Bryzgalov now leads the league in Shutouts at 3. Before the game only he and Craig Anderson had 2.
- One stat the broadcast on FSN-Arizona that I found interesting is that the Coyotes have given up only 10 even strength goals so far this year. That means we've also given up 13 on the Power Play. If we can cut down on the dumb penalties... wow. Watch out.
- Even with the shutout the Coyotes are still second in overall GAA. Buffalo has been rediculous.
- Peter Mueller needs to step up his game or he'll be the next healthy scratch. He's just not getting things done.
- Sami Lepisto has been great this year. He took a hard hit that put him on the ice for a few, but got back up and got right back in the play. He's trying to show he shouldn't be the scratch when Kurt Sauer comes off the IR.
Here's your video recap from NHL.com...