It may not have been pretty, but the Phoenix Coyotes edged out the win against the St. Louis Blues tonight 3-2. Shane Doan was able to get the Coyotes a Power Play goal, Scotie Upshall toe dragged Chris Mason totally out of the net and Ed Jovanovski bounced one in somehow into the net in the extra frame to send the fans home happy.
Notes in no particular order:
- Yandle was a liability tonight. He pretty much own goaled the 2nd Blues goal on a basic poke check from Paul Kariya
- The 2nd period was the single worst period of hockey I've seen from these guys since Wayne was still running things.
- Prucha was all over the place diving for puck passing, hounding Blues puck carriers. He didn't show up on the score sheet, but that's what got him 3rd star.
- The guys need to keep working on the passing game. Again, passes were off target, or they were getting too cute with drop passes and spins and other unnecessary junk. Keep it Simple.
- Out defense still looked pretty solid with the exception of the 2nd period.
- Bryz did well in goal, stealing several quality chances away from the Blues.
- The team needs to keep getting the Ws and finding quality ways to get fans in the stands. Tonight's game was great, but not many saw it. It's unfortunate we couldn't have done this on Saturday instead.
- The Coyotes now lead the Pacific Division with 8 points in 6 games.
- Jovanovski may have gotten the game winner, but I don't think he even knew what happened there. He's been solid on D, but he has to start passing and shooting more effectively.
- Shane Doan is Awesome.
- Suites are fun when your friends are there too. Doubly so when someone else foots the bill.
- Zbynek Michalek scored his 100th NHL point.
- Keith Yandle is never allowed to do the breakout again.
- Chanting "GOAL!" and pointing to center ice repeatedly is good luck. Also I started the cheer. Go me.
That's all. my throat hurts and I think I pulled a chest muscle cheering tonight. So much for the preseason helping with these things. Night world.