|Detroit Red Wings||Phoenix Coyotes|
Location: Jobing.com Arena
Start Time: 7:00p.m. MST
TV: FSN AZ
Radio: 910 AM (Live feed at top of page that opens)
Detroit Coverage @ Winging it in Motown
After finally beating down the Wild on Thursday night, the good guys get a chance to beat another team that has consistently had their number in the Detroit
Ded Things Red Wings. Detroit has won the last eight games in the series and the win the Yotes had before that streak was away. The last home win against these guys was way back on January 24, 2004. So I think we're about due to hang an L on these guys.
Detroit is coming off a tough loss against Dallas in which they played well, limiting the Stars chances, but could only get 1 past Marty Turco. There hasn't been much reporting on who will be in goal tonight for Detroit. Conklin has played fairly well, but has never played against the Coyotes. That may mean we get to see Osgood in net. Either way, one Key for us will have to be goaltending. The Detroit gameplan requires that they score a good amount in order to win. The D and goaltending tend to let most of those back in their own end as well. Over their last 4 wins, the scores have been 2 - 1, 6 - 5, 5 - 4 and 4 -3. They've played just that much better than the other team to get the extra goal and stay on top. ESPN crunched the numbers and stated that "The Red Wings are 5-2 in their last seven outings but have allowed an average of 3.29 goals per game during that stretch. " That's a good sign if our D and Bryz can step up again tonight.
Our boys are coming off of a big win on Thursday and should be looking to play the same style of game. Everything went right because they did the majority of the things the way you're supposed to. The only thing that was off was the PP unit, but if you do everything else, I can live with that being a little behind.
Keys for Tonight:
- 1. Goaltending - Bryz played a great game on Thursday and needs to do it all over again tonight. The one time that the D wasn't able to get to the loose puck first cost him the goose egg. Keep the rebounds to a minimum and everything should be fine.
- 2. Defense - Played a good game against the Wild and was fast to get to bouncing and loose pucks, keeping them away from the net. They even saved 1 or 2 that got behind Bryz.
- 3. Checking - The boys came out hitting against the Wild and dictated the game because of it. Even Olli and Jovo were playing with some attitude and it fed the rest of the team. Minnesota starting hitting back, but by then it was too late.
- 4. Special Teams - The PK just need to build on the wild game, but the PP needs to get itself in gear, or some different guys will be getting that ice time. They did well against Dallas, but being out of the 20's in PP% would be nice.
- 5. Get the lead early and keep it - As with several non-Coyote teams, the Wings bring out a good # of fans even here in the desert. We need to shut them up early and keep it that way. Make them have the desire to go down and buy a Yotes' sweater by 1st intermission.