On Friday, Arizona would strike first when forward Kevin Baker lit the lamp midway through the first period, assisted by Matt McCready and Bryan Campbell.
Early in the second, forward Paul McIlveen would extend the Sundogs' lead, assisted by Brandon Coccimiglio and David Rutherford. Later in the middle frame, with his team on the power play, Arizona defenseman Justin Pender would find the back of the net, assisted by Paul McIlveen and David Rutherford.
Denver would get on the board with a goal midway through the third period.
With time running out, the Cutthroats would pull their goalie and Sundogs' forward David Rutherford would score an empty-netter, assisted by Andrew Engelage, to get the 4-1 victory. Arizona had 31 shots on goal, and goalie Andrew Engelage turned away 34 of the 35 shots he faced.
The teams met again on Saturday and again the Sundogs would get the only goal in the first period. Defenseman Garrett Clarke would get his third goal of the year, assisted by Ian Schultz and Johan Ryd.
The Cutthroats would get two goals in the second period and one early in the third to take the two-goal lead. Midway through the third, with Arizona on the power play, forward Paul McIlveen would cut into Denver's lead, assisted by Justin Pender and Mark Isherwood. Three minutes later, Sundogs' defenseman Matt McCready would tie the game, assisted by Bryan Cameron and Michael Trebish, eventually sending the game into overtime.
Just over a minute into the extra frame, Arizona forward Jordan Clendenning would light the lamp, assisted by Matt McCready and Michael Trebish, to get the 4-3 victory. The Sundogs totaled 38 shots on goal and goalie Andrew Engelage stopped 36 of the 39 shots on goal.
Big Dog of the Week
For the second time this season, The Big Dog of the Week goes to forward David Rutherford. In his 10 games with the Sundogs, "Rudy" has 15 points (6-9-15), a +6 rating and 37 shots on goal. The Ladner, British Columbia native had three points in the Friday night game against Denver. David has a bulldog named Bobby and loves penguins, a lot.
- Thirty-eight games into the season, Arizona is 17-18-3 with 37 points. They are 8th out of 10 teams in the CHL: 17 points out of first place and in possession of the final playoff position by one point.
- The Sundogs' special teams have a 17.44% power play percentage and an 83.05% penalty kill percentage, with three shorthanded goals scored and eight allowed.
- There were no transactions this week
- Forward Paul McIlveen continues to lead the team in points with 35 (14g/21a)
- Arizona returns home for three games against the Rapid City Rush. Tuesday, the Sundogs host their first ever Kid's Day Game with the puck dropping at 10:00 a.m.. Arizona and Rapid City will face off again on Friday and Saturday with the puck dropping at 7:05 p.m. both nights. Saturday night will be Pink in the Rink with a Specialty Jersey auction and pink ice.