The Sundogs struck first on Friday. Late in the opening period, with his team on the power play, forward Paul McIlveen would light the lamp, assisted by Brandon Coccimiglio.
With time running out, the Chill would pull their goalie and Brandon Coccimiglio would score an unassisted empty-net goal to seal the 3-0 victory. Arizona had 26 shots on goal, and goalie Andrew Engelage turned away all of the 30 shots he faced.
Saturday, Arizona and Quad City would find themselves in a defensive battle with neither team able to get on the scoreboard in the first two periods of the game. The Sundogs would find themselves on the power play just past midway in the third when forward Ian Schultz would score, assisted by Garrett Clarke and Bryan Cameron.
That would be the only goal of the game and Arizona would get the 1-0 victory. The Sundogs totaled 28 shots on goal and goalie Andrew Engelage stopped all 27 Mallard shots on goal.
Big Dog of the Week
For the third time this season, Big Dog of the Week goes to goalie Andrew Engelage. "Engy" had two shutouts this week, and is currently riding a streak of three consecutive shutouts. His 206:25 scoreless minute streak is the fifth longest in CHL history. The 6'5", 220lbs goalie has 12-8-1 record for the Sundogs this season. He has four shutouts, 56 goals allowed, 590 saves, a 2.53 goals against average, and a 0.913 save percentage. Engelage is 32:07 away from claiming the shutout minutes record in the CHL. That record is held by Mark Guggenberger, who currently plays for the Allen Americans, the team the Sundogs face on Friday night. For his performance, Engelage was awarded the Oakley Central Hockey League Goalie of the Week for the week ending January 12th. It is the second time this season that he has received this honor.
- Thirty-three games into the season, Arizona is 14-18-1 with 29 points. They are 8th out of 10 teams in the CHL: 17 points out of first place and in possession of the final playoff position by one point.
- The Sundogs' special teams have a 16.96% power play percentage and an 82.69% penalty kill percentage, with three shorthanded goals scored and eight allowed.
- On 1/10 forward Brandon Coccimiglio was placed on 7-day I.R.; On 1/11 forward Kevin Baker was activated from I.R.
- Forward Paul McIlveen leads the team in points with 30 (10g/20a)
- Arizona returns home for two games against the Allen Americans on Friday and Saturday. The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. for both games. The Sundogs then take to the road to face the Americans in Allen on Monday.