The team hasn't been playing horribly lately, except for a few instances, but for whatever reason they have not been able to find the back of the net for the past three games. I'm sure this has an impact on the players as well, everyone is probably gripping their sticks a little tighter then normally, which can't be helping the situation, but I think after that first goal is scored the flood gates are going to open.
Five For Winning:
1. Score: This doesn't really need further explanation, the Coyotes have been shut out the past 3 games in a row. If they aren't scoring they aren't winning.
2. Discipline: Although it could be argued there were some weak calls last night, the Coyotes need to stay out of the box. The Kings first goal last night was a power play and it just showed that you can't give this team an opportunity to have the man advantage.
3. Special teams. The Coyotes penalty kill has actually been pretty good as of late, but the power play unit needs to catch up. If the other team is going to take a penalty the Yotes need to make them pay.
4. Shoot everything. Hopefully, the more rubber gets put on Jonathon Quick the more likely one manages to sneak through. With a scoreless streak this long it wouldn't be surprising for a weak goal to be the one to break it.
5. Win. The Yotes need points to keep in the running, especially when you look at how close the West is.
Likely Starting Goalies:
Mike Smith hasn't been playing bad down the stretch, and he is probably the reason that some of the games have been as close as they were, but this team needs to be shaken up and I think starting Jason LaBarbera will be the first step in that. The team needs something to snap them out of whatever funk they are in and Barbs may be just the man to do it.
Jonathon Quick played great last night, and although he almost got caught once or twice he managed to skate off the ice with the shut out. Although there is a chance they may want to sit him for the second of a back to back I doubt that they will change what worked so well last night.
Players To Watch:
I'm not exactly sure why Rob Klinkhammer sat last night against the Kings, but hopefully he will be skating tonight. He brought energy to his first two games and hopefully he can do something to spark the Coyotes offense.
Anze Kopitar played great last night and was the Five For Howling second star of the game. Expect him to be just as dominate a player tonight.