The Arizona Sundogs continued their road trip with two games against the expansion St. Charles Chill on Friday and Saturday.
The Sundogs faced the CHL's second new 2013-14 team for the first time on Friday night and it was a defensive battle from the opening puck drop. Neither team would find the back of the net in the first or second period. At 13:21 of the third period, with Arizona on the power play, defenseman Garrett Clarke would light the lamp, assisted by Jordan Clendenning.
The Sundogs remained tough through the remainder of the game and came away with the 1-0 shutout victory. Arizona had 24 shots on goal, and goalie Andrew Engelage turned away all of the 32 shots he faced.
Saturday, the teams faced-off again and Arizona would get on the board early in the first period with a goal by forward Dion Campbell, assisted by Bryan Cameron. St. Charles would answer back with a goal just over a minute later to level the score. Sundogs' forward Paul McIlveen would score unassisted at 14:59 of the opening frame to give his team the lead going into the first break. The Chill would tie the game once more in the middle frame with a power play goal. Arizona captain and forward Jason Morgan would take advantage of a four-minute power play later in the second period to light the lamp, assisted by Paul McIlveen and Alex Tuckerman, with what would be the final and game winning goal of the night. The Sundogs totaled 17 shots on goal and goalie Andrew Engelage made 22 saves on 24 shots.
Big Dog of the Week
This week's Big Dog of the Week title goes to goalie Andrew Engelage for the second time this season. The 6'5", 220 pound goalie has played in 10 of Arizona's 11 games this year with a 4-4-1 record, 2.46 G.A.A., and a .915 Save %. The Oshawa, Ontario native collected both of the Sundogs' wins against the Chill this week and posted his team's first shutout this season.
- Thirteen games into the season, Arizona is 4-8-1 with nine points. They are 8th out of 10 teams in the CHL, and 11 points out of first place.
- The Sundogs' special teams have a 15.38% power play percentage and an 83.82% penalty kill percentage, with zero shorthanded goals scored and three allowed.
- On 11/13 forward Chad Costello was claimed off waivers; On 11/15 forward Alex Tuckerman was activated from I.R., defenseman Derek Matheson was waived, and forward Chad Costello was placed on team suspension; On 11/16 defenseman Mike Kavanagh was activated from I.R. and then waived
- Forward Paul McIlveen is currently leading the team with 11 points (5-6-11)
- Goalie Andrew Engelage and forward Paul McIlveen were named two of the CHL's Oakley 3 Stars of the Week for November 11-17, 2013. Engelage was named the first star for his three wins and McIlveen named the third star for his three goals and one assist.
- Arizona return home for two games against the Quad City Mallards on Friday, and Saturday. The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. for both games.