The Coyotes released their preseason schedule today. While there's a very cool game against the Stars to be played at Reliant Stadium, home of the Houston Texans, the bigger news for Coyotes fans is that there are only 2 home preseason games. One, a split squad game against the Kings and the preseason finale against the Sharks. I don't really blame the team for doing that as the preseason games aren't exactly big draws, and by keeping the closer and having the big game in Houston it gets more focus on the hockey rather than the City or the other issues. Though I'm sure those won't be brought up again this coming season.
For those that don't know much about Reliant Stadium, it's a retractable dome stadium that seats about 71500 people. This wouldn't be the first time they've had ice in the stadium as they've also had things like Disney on ice, but to the best of my knowledge, not ice hockey. It might not be the Winter Classic, but it does bring big stadium hockey to a "Non-traditional" market and could be a good test of how that would work if the League ever considered doing the classic in Southern or Western markets.
• Sept. 20: Anaheim Ducks-Honda Center-7 p.m.
• Sept. 21: *Los Angeles Kings-Jobing.com Arena-7 p.m.
• Sept: 21: *Los Angeles Kings-Staples Center-7:30 p.m.
• Sept. 23: Dallas Stars-Reliant Stadium-TBD
• Sept. 24: San Jose Sharks-HP Pavilion-7:30 p.m.
• Sept. 27: Edmonton Oilers-Rexall Place-6 p.m.
• Sept: 29: Calgary Flames-Scotiabank Saddledome-6 p.m.
• Oct. 1: San Jose Sharks-Jobing.com Arena-6 p.m.
(* denotes split squad game.)