This came up in a GDT a few games back, and I keep getting caught up at work and unable to post. But now that I have time I figured I'd put something up, maybe stimulate a bit of chatter and a bit of a distraction from all the owners**t situation.
Soooo with that in mind, what are your superstitions/rituals/habits? Both in sports, support or everyday life?
I'll throw mine in after the jump.
Timmy Hate's Superstitions
Sport - general:
- I always like to be one of the first people to the venue, often up to an hour ahead of when I need to be there. I like to sit and clear my mind a bit to really focus on the game
- I like to have some semblance of uniform among the team I'm on.
- For numbers I like to be number 13 or 12. The reason is that when I played Under 14's in line hockey, one of my teammates passed away from a major asthma attack. I wore 12 all through school as this was his age when he passed, then switched to 13 (my age when he passed). I started Ice Hockey as 12 was already taken.
- I like to always have at least a litre bottle of water, if not a litre bottle and a bottle of Gatorade or similar.
- I always chew Spearmint gum before sports. Always.
Sport - Ice Hockey
- Always freshly taped for games. Doesn't matter if the tape is in perfect condition. An expensive superstition. (Training and scrimmages are less required for fresh tape)
- Always white when possible. At the moment I've got a whole bunch of rolls of black tape to use up but I'm going to try and trade someone for some white.
- The Grip on my stick is always blue stretch grip, with Maroon stick tape top and bottom.
- Around the lower part of the shaft I have a double strip of Maroon stick tape with my number on either side and (now) my wife's initials on the back.
- For a long time I went with Black laces, but at the moment I'm using the White ones that came with my new skates.
- 5/8" sharpen. Always. No exception.
- I like my skates tight, evenly the whole foot, and every eyelet done up.
- One single strip of (clear only) sock tape under the Knee to keep the pads in place.
- Socks pulled up so there is no slack at the bottom, and so that my tape is on the top of the stripes
- No tuck!
- Sleeves pulled up to almost the elbow
- Before games, my wife will braid my hair into a thin braid.
- Always my Lamb Of God bandanna under my helmet.
Most of my superstitions can be seen in this photo - couple of things are different (the black stick tape cause I gotta use it up, and the red and black stripes on the bottom of the stick were for Christchurch as this was a fundraiser game)
Hockey - Coyotes
- Every game day at least one bit of Coyotes Merch on me (not normally a problem, to and from work I wear my Coyotes Jersey or my Hoodie, weekends I wear one of my Coyotes Hat)
- GDT superstition: PUPPIES!
Wow...the more I write these out the more i feel like a weirdo. Anyone else help me out here?
Five for Howling is a fan community that allows members to post their own thoughts and opinions on the Phoenix Coyotes and hockey in general. These views and thoughts may not be shared by the editor(s) of Five for Howling