Things looked bleak for the Coyotes chances at extending their winning streak through most of last night's game, but come the third period the Coyotes woke up and found a way to win their 8th straight game, this time over the Eastern Conference leading Philadelphia Flyers.
Down 1-0 after the first two periods thanks to a fluke bouncing goal from Ville Leino in the first period, the Coyotes come out and took the game to the Flyers. Eric Belanger got a gift of a goal that was created pretty much entirely by Mikkel Boedker. Boedker took the puck in on his own against three Flyers defenders while the Coyotes made a change. He waited patiently behind the net until he could pass it right to Belanger in the slot who snapped it past Sergei Bobrovsky.
Taylor Pyatt would put the Coyotes in the lead on a lucky goal that Bobrovsky just miss played. It looked like Pyatt was attempting a shot/dump-in but as Bobrovsky tried to redirect it it rolled up the stick blade and right past him into the net. A lucky bounce, but that's the kind of thing that has happened to the Coyotes lately. Luck didn't stay with them in the closing minutes of the period though as the Flyers would tie it up with just over a minute remaining in the game and with the extra attacker. Claude Giroux put a rare rebound out to the front past Ilya Bryzgalov. Bryz had been standing on his head most of the period but just couldn't control the second chance.
On overtime the Captain Shane Doan would close it out on a perfect pass from Radim Vrbata while the Coyotes were on the power play. Doan dropped to a knee and ripped a one-timer into the open side of the net.
Bullet points and videos courtesy of Broad Street Hockey after the jump.
- Ilya Bryzgalov is in excellent form at this point of the season. He's seeing the puck well and robbing some sure goals from the opposition. If he keeps this up down the stretch the Coyotes will be a formidable opponent.
- Shane Doan has goals in his past 3 games. Great time for the Captain to be heating up.
- Taylor Pyatt continues to impress with yet another goal tonight. It may have been lucky, but he seems to just have things going for him lately.
- Jody Shelley required 60 stitches after his fight with Nolan Yonkman. No wonder the guy is so ugly.
- After a late hit by Scottie Upshall, Oskars Bartoulis left the game. He'll get an MRI today to see the extent of his injuries.
- Shane Doan tied the all time Jets/Coyotes record for games played along with Teppo Numminen with 1,098 games played for the franchise.